M.Tech (2 years)
A well – balanced, industry driven and research aligned curriculum that ensures integrating theory with real-world applications. Holistic pedagogy and emphasis on development of additional technical skills helps students to head start their career in core industries.
PG Diploma – Exit option after one year for PG Diploma in relevant specialization
Note: Refer to the relevant scheme
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
M.Tech in Structural Engineering (2 years Full-Time / 3 years Part-Time) is an essential program in Civil Engineering. Any construction cannot happen without analysis and design. This program has existed since the subject came into existence, but being one of the best Civil Engineering colleges in India, we continuously upgrade it as per the demand of the current infrastructure, so as to constantly provide excellent career opportunities for students at NorthCap University Gurgaon. Structural engineering has important subjects like Structural Dynamics, Bridge Engineering, Tall structures, Finite element Analysis and also Design of Earthquake resistant structures, Theory of Elasticity and Plasticity, Numerical Methods, and Advanced structural designs. These subjects inculcate a deep understanding of the behavior of structures and help professional Civil Engineers to design various kinds of structures, placing it among the best courses for Civil Engineering in Haryana.
Typically, a program in this discipline includes concepts from physics, Engineering Mechanics, Mechanics of solids, Structural analysis, design of concrete and steel structures, as well a few mechanical subjects.
Market Trends of Structural Engineering:
- Global adoption of Building Information Modeling (BIM): BIM is getting globally accepted due to its capacity of giving 3D experience in the field of structural Engineering.
- Continuous Inventions on self-healing concrete, 3D printed nanostructures, and structural systems that dynamically adapt to changes in their environment and contributes to sustainable development.
- Computational methods using machine-learning will automate simple engineering tasks while assisting engineers to perform more complex engineering tasks. This will empower engineers to offer more high-value services.
- Sustainable development with focus on Social, environmental and economic aspects
Unique Selling Points of the Specialization:
- Industry ready curriculum ensures learning of cutting-edge technologies which helps students to head start their career in core industries such as Shapoorji Pallonji, L&T, Shobha developers
- Experimental study using Shake table where student can study the behavior of different types of structures during different earthquakes
- Labs with accreditation from National Accreditation Board for testing and calibration laboratories
- The Department has state-of-the-art laboratory facilities which are readily available for hands-on practical work and research.
- Exposure and involvement in specialized industries for internship and thesis work. Mentoring and guidance provided by industry experts.
- Strong alumni connect help students in career guidance.
- MOU’s with various Industries in the field of Structural Engineering. Guest lectures and hands-on training by different industry experts.
- Research and PhD
- Design Engineer
- Project Manager
- Prospects in Private & Public Sector.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- To provide extensive knowledge of Civil & Environmental Engineering for professional development and other creative & innovative pursuits of science and technology.
- To provide sustainable, economical and environmentally sound solutions to civil engineering problems to satisfy the needs of the society and industry at national and global level.
- To develop communication, interpersonal and effective project management skills to work in a team effectively and conduct themselves ethically in their professional environment.
- To develop technical competence in the fields of Civil & Environmental engineering through new and advanced courses and provide an environment for technology-related research programs for faculty, staff and students.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes
- Conceptualize the ability to analyse and understand the behaviour and response of structures against natural calamities like earthquake, landslide etc.
- The ability to design stable structures as per standard code of practices with focus on stability, sustainability and innovativeness in terms of materials and life cycle through research and development.