M.Tech (FT & PT)
M.Tech Full Time (2 years)
A well – balanced, industry driven and research aligned curriculum that ensures integrating theory with real-world applications. Holistic pedagogy and emphasis on development of additional technical skills helps students to head start their career in core industries.
Course Duration – 2 years
PG Diploma – Exit option after one year for PG Diploma in relevant specialization
*Note: Refer to the relevant scheme
M.Tech Part Time (3 years)
A specially designed three years program for working professional with flexible teaching
pedagogy and flexible credit-based system to ensure smooth learning along with the routine
Course Duration – 3 years
About the Course
The energy efficiency of thermal systems is a major focus of industries around the world. Specialization in Thermal Engineering provides an edge to the students who want to pursue careers in the energy-linked industries viz. power, HVAC, renewable energy, design of internal combustion engines, energy storage, combustion, research, and development.
As one of the best courses for MTech in Mechanical Engineering in Gurgaon, the specialization in Thermal Engineering offers students a deeper knowledge of mathematics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, the design of thermal systems, and many other thermal engineering concepts. Students are supposed to carry out research work in thermal engineering. Awareness about current state-of-the-art. At The NorthCap University Gurgaon, students will learn to develop an eye for detail, a methodical work process, and a creative problem-solving ability at one of the top mechanical engineering colleges in India.
Market Trends of Thermal Engineering
- The thermal market is expected to grow at 5% CGR from 2019 to 2027 [Transparency Market Research]
- Exponential growth of the IT & telecommunications sector has indirectly led to a spurt in the demand for thermal products.
- HVAC cooling systems that use thermal products find wide use for cooling servers and computers
- Food production, packaging, shipping, and distribution are some energy-hungry operations in the food and beverage sector.
Unique Selling Points of the Specialization
- Carry out design, development and optimization of thermal management systems
- Work on thermal system problems using computational analysis
- Research oriented curriculum with focus on publication of research articles
- Market driven curriculum, updated periodically in consultation with experts from industry and academia.
- State-of-the-art laboratory facility (CAD Lab, IC Engine, Vibration labs, CoE and others) for understanding and undertaking quality research work.
- Efficient and highly qualified faculty members nurturing students for their future endeavours.
- Flexibility in choosing courses to facilitate industry placement and admission in Universities abroad.
- Outstanding industry-academia interaction through expert sessions, industrial visits, internships, professional societies and workshops.
- Emphasis on holistic development of students through promotion of co-curricular activities and professional societies in the department.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- To impart quality education in Mechanical engineering for making our students industry and research competent.
- To develop an ability to analyze problems, understand the technical requirements, design and creating and delivering effective engineering solutions.
- To imbibe high standard of ethical and professional conduct, positive attitude, team spirit and societal responsibilities.
- To equip our students to effectively communicate technical and non-technical information in speech, presentation, and in writing.
- To up skill our students and tune them for performing efficiently in various roles of their social, professional and ethical obligations.
Programme Outcome (POs)
- Scholarship of Knowledge: Acquire in-depth knowledge of specific discipline or professional area, including wider and global perspective, with an ability to discriminate, evaluate, analyse and synthesise existing and new knowledge, and integration of the same for enhancement of knowledge.
- Critical Thinking: Analyse complex engineering problems critically, apply independent judgement for synthesising information to make intellectual and/or creative advances for conducting research in a wider theoretical, practical and policy context.
- Problem Solving: Think laterally and originally, conceptualise and solve engineering problems, evaluate a wide range of potential solutions for those problems and arrive at feasible, optimal solutions after considering public health and safety, cultural, societal and environmental factors in the core areas of expertise.
- Research Skill: Extract information pertinent to unfamiliar problems through literature survey and experiments, apply appropriate research methodologies, techniques and tools, design, conduct experiments, analyse and interpret data, demonstrate higher order skill and view things in a broader perspective, contribute individually/in group(s) to the development of scientific/technological knowledge in one or more domains of engineering.
- Usage of modern tools: Create, select, learn and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modelling, to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- Collaborative and Multidisciplinary work: Possess knowledge and understanding of group dynamics, recognise opportunities and contribute positively to collaborative-multidisciplinary scientific research, demonstrate a capacity for self-management and teamwork, decision-making based on open-mindedness, objectivity and rational analysis in order to achieve common goals and further the learning of themselves as well as others.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply the same to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, manage projects efficiently in respective disciplines and multidisciplinary environments after consideration of economical and financial factors.
- Communication: Communicate with the engineering community, and with society at large, regarding complex engineering activities confidently and effectively, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation by adhering to appropriate standards, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Life-long Learning: Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in life-long learning independently, with a high level of enthusiasm and commitment to improve knowledge and competence continuously.
- Ethical Practices and Social Responsibility: Acquire professional and intellectual integrity, professional code of conduct, ethics of research and scholarship, consideration of the impact of research outcomes on professional practices and an understanding of responsibility to contribute to the community for sustainable development of society.
- Independent and Reflective Learning: Observe and examine critically the outcomes of one’s actions and make corrective measures subsequently, and learn from mistakes without depending on external feedback.
Programme Specific Outcome
PSO 1: Enable students to get in-depth knowledge in the specialisation of Production and Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Design or Thermal Engineering and able to solve complex problems in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
PSO 2: Identify research areas and provide solutions to complex engineering problems for the advancement of society.
PSO 3: Enable the students for premium National/International jobs, pursue research career, entrepreneurship and to become responsible global citizens.
M.Tech Scheme 2020-21
M.Tech Scheme 2021-22
M.Tech Scheme 2022-2023
Syllabi & Course Outcomes