Master of Science (M.Sc.) Mathematics
Mathematics seeks to uncover universal mathematical structures underlying objects of investigation. The abstraction of concepts often performed in mathematical research attempts to extract the essential structure from individual objects of investigation, and whatever truths that are proven with this framework maintain their validity forever. MSc. in Mathematics lies in understanding how different types of math’s are categorized. Instead of focusing on a particular type of mathematics such as algebra or calculus, a postgraduate degree MSc. in Mathematics allows students to concentrate on number theory and advanced mathematical methods that tie together all the different forms of mathematics they have likely already learned. One can learn abstract concepts used in modern mathematics and develop the ability to grasp their underlying truths. It provides an opportunity to go beyond theoretical work in math and explore real-world applications, by understanding how math affects our lives. In addition to learning principles like statistical analysis, one can expect to expand their problem-solving and organizational skills that are important for future careers.
Career Options: Scientific Computing, Teaching, Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Banking – Retail, Actuarial Profession, Game Development, Statistical Researcher, Higher Research -PhD, Professional Service, Database Manager, External Auditor
Highlights of the Program
- Highly experienced and research-oriented faculty, all holding Ph.D. degrees (mostly from IITs, NITs, Central and State Universities).
- Curriculum is benchmarked with UGC and other reputed Universities. The syllabus is aligned with that of NET, GATE, JAM and other competitive exams. Students can opt for the subjects of their interest from other branches of study in the Open Elective courses offered to them.
- Students get the opportunity to explore their creativity in the Tinkering lab,an area where innovative minds can play with technology.
- Research project is an integral part of the curriculum to provide students insight in the area of research.
- In each of the four semesters students have a compulsory course of General Proficiency (GP), in which the students are evaluated on the basis of their participation in extracurricular activities. This ensures all round development of the students.
- Each student is assigned a faculty counselor, who guides students on personal and professional decisions and helps them to create a career trajectory.
- Placed opportunities in reputed companies like Nagarro, GenX Info Technologies, Jaro Toppscholars etc.
- Students are trained to prepare for NET, GATE exams and many students achieved top rankings in these exams.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The Programs Educational Objectives (PEO’s) of MSc Mathematics Program are
- To equip students with knowledge, abilities and insight in mathematics and related fields.
- To enable them to work as a mathematical professional.
- To develop the ability to utilize the mathematical problem-solving methods such as analysis, modeling, and programming and mathematical software applications in addressing the practical and heuristic issues.
- To enable students to recognize the need for and the ability to engage in life-long learning.
- To develop the skill of graduates to write entrance exam conducted by IIT’s/Universities to pursue PG and Integrated PhD and to gleam as great Mathematicians.
- To equip students with the ability to translate and synthesize their understanding towards nature, human and development.
Program Outcomes (POs): After pursuing MSc Mathematics, the students will be
- Able to apply the knowledge of mathematical science to solve real life problems.
- Able to communicate the outcomes and analyses effectively.
- Able to work in different disciplines of science, engineering, or computing a solid core education
- Able to use statistical methods to develop and maintain predictive models
- Able to give first-hand knowledge in advanced applied mathematics and forefront research experience
- Able to seek out universal mathematical constructs to scientific discipline