BSc (Hons) Chemistry program is highly cherished in the flexible market of today and the graduates have excellent career opportunities in academic and industrial research. The BSc (Hons) Chemistry program at the NCU provides a thorough education in the subject, from macromolecules to nanoparticles, and beyond. With one of the best BSc courses in India, the graduates will gain an in-depth knowledge of basic Chemistry, which later they can specialize in Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Biochemistry, etc. by practical laboratory experience. The curriculum of the program has been designed in such a way so that the holistic development of the students can be carried out. The curriculum of the BSc (H) Chemistry program is benchmarked with UGC norms and devised in consultation with Honorary Distinguished Professors from renowned organizations, making it one of the top BSc courses in Haryana. Apart from core Chemistry courses, the curriculum is enriched with the inclusion of the courses of liberal studies, basics of computer programming, projects, summer internships, MOOC Courses, tinkering lab, general proficiency, and a wide range of programs and open elective courses from a premier.
After the completion of the BSc (Hons) degree in Chemistry, rewarding education and employment opportunities are available for the chemistry graduates, including higher studies, research and Pharmaceutical industries. Often, in some reputed universities the students are recruited directly by MNC’s (Teva Pharma, Mankind, Glaxo Smith, Rosch etc) after their completion of the course.
- Highly experienced and research-oriented Faculty, all holding Ph.D. degrees (mostly from IITs, NITs, and Central Universities).
- Curriculum is benchmarked with UGC, and other reputed Universities. The syllabus is aligned with that of NET, GATE, JAM and other competitive exams.
- Apart from the core courses, the curriculum is equipped with the courses of liberal studies, programming-based courses, foreign language courses, MOOC Coursesand a wide variety of program and open elective courses.
- General Proficiency (GP) is compulsory course in all the six semesters for the students and they are judged on the basis of extracurricular activities (inside and outside University). This ensures all round development of the students.
- Internship is must after the third semester so that students carry a practical work experience, which carries a major significancewhile attempting to enter the job market.
- Tinkering labis an integral part of the curriculum where innovative minds can play with technology. It is based on the values of critical thinking, innovation and hands-on experience.
- Well-equipped laboratories to take the students experience to a whole new level.
- Providing research orientation to the students by assigning them a major project. Students are provided an exposure of research facilities like; Scanning Electron Microscope, vacuum coater, spin coater, Solar Simulator, UV-VIS absorption spectrophotometer etc.
- Each student is assigned a faculty counsellor, who guides students on personal and professional decisions and helps them to create a career trajectory.
- Fee concession and merit scholarships to the deserving students.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- To provide the foundation in the fundamentals and applications of current chemical and scientific theories including those in Analytical, Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry.
- To equip student with the advanced tools and techniques used in Analytics domain.
- To familiarize students with the emerging areas of Chemistry and their applications invarious spheres of Chemical sciences.
- To develop the skills of students in the proper handling of apparatus and chemicals.
- To make the students explore new areas of research in chemistry and allied fields of science and technology.
- To make the students explain why Chemistry is an integral course for addressing social, economic, and environmental problems.
Programme Outcome (POs)
- To enhance logical reasoning, arithmetic, aptitude and communication skills, for better employability.
- To formulate and apply first-hand knowledge in advanced applications in various disciplines of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry and forefront research experience
- To communicate and analyse the results of theoretical calculations and laboratory experiments in a clear and concise manner that incorporates the scientific conventions.
- To understand the professional and ethical responsibility that has an impact on their higher studies and professional career.
- To work in different disciplines of science, engineering, or computing in a solid core education
- To become proficient in fundamentals of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and in scientific reasoning and effective communication for overall development.
- To familiarized with the emerging areas of Chemistry and their applications in various spheres of Chemical sciences and to apprise the students of its relevance in future studies.
Programme Specific Outcome
- Students will be able to understand the basic concepts in Chemistry while retaining the exciting aspects of Chemistry so as to develop interest in the study of chemistry as a discipline to be exposed to the different processes used in industries and their applications.
- Students will be able to explain why chemistry is an integral activity for addressing social, economic, and environmental problems.
- Students will be able to explore new areas of research in both chemistry and allied fields of science and technology.