MICROWAVE ENGINEERING LABORATORY
This laboratory introduces the student to microwave fundamentals and measurement at microwave frequencies. Emphasis is on Waveguides, microwave components, generator, SWR measurements, impedance matching, microwave semiconductor devices, Smith chart etc. Practical demonstration of the theoretical concepts enhances the understanding of the students. The experiments included in the curriculum cover majority of the microwave measurements studied in theory. Some additional value added experiments are also included at the end.
The laboratory is well equipped with microwave benches, SWR meter, CRO, microwave components as direction coupler, E Tee, H Tee, Magic Tee, detector mounts, circulator, Gunn diode and klystron generator etc. The students are provided with a comprehensive Lab Manual, which is almost self explanatory. All the experiments are well documented with clear block diagrams, theory and procedures involved, so that the students are able to perform the experiments with ease and proper understanding.
LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
1. To determine the Frequency and wavelength in a rectangular wave-guide working on TE10 made.
2. To determine the standing wave-ratio and reflection coefficient.
3. To study the characteristics of the reflex Klystron tube and to determine its electronic tuning range.
4. To measure the attenuation of fixed and variable attenuators.
5. To measure unknown Impedance by using smith chart.
6. To measure the coupling and directivity of a coupler.
7. To measure insertion loss and isolation of a three port circulator.
8. To study the phase shifter.
9. To study the Magic Tee.
10. To study the characteristics of a Gunn diode.
VALUE ADDED EXPERIMENTS
1. To study Phase shifter.
2. To study and plot radiation pattern of Horn antenna.