Advanced Optical Communication
The purpose of this practical is to give students a better understanding of modes in an optical fiber, and the dispersion properties of the modes. Student must perform the prescribed calculations in CRO & DMM along with optical fiber trainer kit . Optsim is used to simulate all these modes, dispersion, causes and their characteristics. The results of these calculations must be recorded in a report to be handed in on or before the prescribed date. Some additional value added experiments are also included in the end.
The students are provided with a comprehensive Lab Manual, which is almost self explanatory. All the experiments are well documented with clear circuit diagrams, theory and procedures involved, so that the students are able to perform the experiments with ease and proper Understanding.
LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
1. Determine the numerical aperture of optical fiber.
2. Setting a fiber analog link.
3. Setting a fiber digital link.
4. Study of modulation & Demodulation of light source by pulse width modulation technique.
5. Setting up of F. O. Voice Link using PWM.
6. Study of bending loss in optical fiber.
7. To Study various type of losses in Optical fibers using laser transmission.
8. To study the effect of optical receiver characteristics on a system performance.
9. To demonstrate spectral bandwidth and modulation response typical for LED.
10. To demonstrate the NRZ & RZ modulation formats in Optical Communication.
11. To compensate fiber dispersion using the realistic fiber grating Component.
12. To study the influence of chromatic dispersion and its compensation on the performance of a single-channel OC link.
13. To study the effect of stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS) on a fiber’s transmission performance.
14. To study DPSK modulation.
15. To demonstrate optical amplifier design for dense WDM system using EDFA Physical Model.
VALUE ADDED EXPERIMENTS
16. Study the characteristics of LED.
17. Study the characteristics of LASER diode.